market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Easy to pick cherry tomatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Barking Cat Farm <barkingcatfarm AT mindspring.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Easy to pick cherry tomatoes
  • Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2010 10:10:37 -0600

We're planning to put up a high tunnel this year for all these reasons too.
But my question, which I haven't been able to answer yet, is when it is 100+
degrees again here in Texas (zone 7b), is that high tunnel really going to do
us any good? Or will we have pre-cooked vegetables? I'm thinking we'll have
to remove the plastic every summer because I don't know that venting will be
sufficient. Any wisdom out there about handling high summer temperatures? If
we'd had a tunnel or two up in the last year, I'm sure we would have had some
production in spite of the massive rains, so the tunnel makes sense. Just not
sure about summer, removing plastic, storing plastic...etc.

Kim
in Texas where it is raining, again, and no one has been able to put in
potatoes or onions