market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Perfecta harrow

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Johnathan Yelenick <yelenick AT riseup.net>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Perfecta harrow
  • Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 10:31:25 -0700

I also just got this response from Jody at Roxbury farm

Johnathan,
We use the Perfecta harrow for secondary tillage. After we chisel plow we
either disc if we worked under a lot of cover crops and then use the Perfect
to prepare a seed bed for cover crops or we just follow the chisel plow with
the Perfecta. It makes a fine seedbed for cover crops.

We also use the Perfecta for our bare fallow period. We allow weeds to
germinate and then we go through with the Perfecta to kill the flush of
weeds.

When we prepare ground for vegetables we use an Imants Spading Machine.
Then we follow with the Perfecta a week or so later and then we make a final
pass with a raised bed maker. The Perfecta could make a planting bed for
large transplants but for direct seeded crops I would recommend a pass with
some sort of bed former to make a firm bed for better seed germination and
later weed control.

If you spread compost you need to work it in somehow or you will lose
nutrients to the air or it will bake in the sun and dry up.

Hope this is helpful,
Jody

ROXBURY FARM
PO Box 338