market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] a manure plow...

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <alison.wiediger AT hart.kyschools.us>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] a manure plow...
  • Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2010 07:49:50 -0600

Soylent Green?

From: market-farming-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org [mailto:market-farming-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Road's End Farm
Sent: Thursday, March 04, 2010 7:49 AM
To: Market Farming

On Mar 4, 2010, at 7:47 AM, Ryan Platte wrote:

I've wondered whether we'll eventually wind up having to do private clubs to distribute good produce, like is currently the case with raw milk.

I sure hope not.

Ryan Platte
Bootstrap Acres, Rochester NY
http://bootstrapacres.com/

Many many years ago, when I was I think about twelve, I read a science fiction story in which only synthetic food was legal; the protagonist of the story had gone to something rather like a speakeasy to get a meal of real food, and got busted.

The story made little sense to me at the time, but it stuck with me, though I don't remember the author's name or the title. I think it was probably meant as a satire on drug laws; I doubt anybody writing in the early 60's or before was considering the possibility that it might be a real problem with food. -- though I suddenly realized just now, wasn't that time around when raw milk was becoming illegal? Maybe the author was a dairy farmer, after all. (My family weren't farmers, I wasn't then following farm issues at all.)