market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] ecoli

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: KAKerby AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] ecoli
  • Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 12:32:27 EST

I don't have the data here at the moment, but yes composting temperatures above 130F for a certain number of days is sufficient to kill pathogens.  The only reason we were even concerned here is that we build new planting beds with rabbits, and we rotate poultry through production fields in between production cycles.  We'll just need to increase the separation time for both those processes.  It was a rude awakening this year because we happened to have a field we wanted to use that the layers were on over the winter.  But that wouldn't give us quite enough turnaround time for that 210 days of separation between animal and harvest.
Kathryn Kerby
Frog Chorus Farm
Snohomish, WA