market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] manures/GAP training

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Garth & Kim Travis <gartht AT txcyber.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] manures/GAP training
  • Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2010 13:16:29 -0600

Greetings,
No, and I don't plan to. I personally think their new rules are ridiculous and if they enforce them, I will quit growing for other people. My produce has fabulous flavor the way I do it now, I started doing it this way to grow for myself. I like the good stuff.
Bright Blessings,
Kim

KAKerby AT aol.com wrote:
Regarding the statement below about manure-to-harvest intervals, I'd be curious to know how many folks on this list have attended GAP training, and/or how many people are putting GAP into use. When I attended an intro session here last month, the recommendation is now 210 days between application of manure and harvest of ANYTHING - roots, leaves, fruits, whatever. That sure set us back. We decided that knowing the new guidelines, we couldn't in good conscience expand into a field that would clearly fall between the old 125-day and new 210-day withdrawal period. One whole field of production - removed from consideration in 2010. Anyone else weighing those options?
Kathryn Kerby
Frog Chorus Farm
Snohomish, WA