market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] manures/GAP training

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: KAKerby AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] manures/GAP training
  • Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2010 10:14:57 EST

Regarding the statement below about manure-to-harvest intervals, I'd be curious to know how many folks on this list have attended GAP training, and/or how many people are putting GAP into use.  When I attended an intro session here last month, the recommendation is now 210 days between application of manure and harvest of ANYTHING - roots, leaves, fruits, whatever.  That sure set us back.  We decided that knowing the new guidelines, we couldn't in good conscience expand into a field that would clearly fall between the old 125-day and new 210-day withdrawal period.  One whole field of production - removed from consideration in 2010.  Anyone else weighing those options?
Kathryn Kerby
Frog Chorus Farm
Snohomish, WA

In a message dated 3/2/2010 7:07:40 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, organic87 AT frontiernet.net writes:

On Mar 1, 2010, at 1:28 PM, sarah wiederkehr wrote:

> be careful when using compost or manure as a heat source in a cold
> frame. If not managed properly and too much ammonia is released, you
> can harm your plants. I lost all my tomatoes one spring due to
> ammonia toxicity from using manure as a heat source- it was too 'hot'.

I'd also consider the current recommends to not use fresh manure
closer than 90 days to harvest if the edible portion of the crop
doesn't touch the soil, or 120 days if it does. This would work out
all right for some crops but not others, I think.