market-farming - [Market-farming] pick your own

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Liz Pike <liz AT marketfarmshoptalk.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] pick your own
  • Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2010 09:40:51 -0500

After reading some of the CSA responses that some crops were pick your own, how do your customers respond well to those crops, will they pick them??  Reason I'm asking, with my bad back I can plant & tend (already have systems in place that keep most of that in the upright position), but it's the harvesting that got all this started last year.  So I'm thinking I might try some pyo crops.  We can certainly do that with blueberries, but I'm wondering about stuff like spinach.  We grow fantastic spinach but I'm not sure that would be successful as a pyo.   Thoughts??

Liz Pike (trying to keep Horseshoe Gardens going)
Market Farm Shop Talk
farm fresh news, grower to grower

Hillsville, VA
276.565.8670