market-farming - [Market-farming] Interns - Apprentices - Employees?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "TxBeeFarmer" <txbeefarmer AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Interns - Apprentices - Employees?
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 07:49:01 -0600

I've been struggling with the employment classification of the people helping me around the farm.  These people usually only work for one growing season and have absolutely NO skills relating to the farm.  I "teach" them how to do virtually everything, as well as the "why" behind it all.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoy teaching, but I'm having a hard time thinking of these people as "employees".

I've heard of some farmers using "Interns" and "Apprentices".  Can someone tell me what the legal differences are between these and an "Employee"?  I've also heard of paying them with stipends.  Is that somehow different than paying as an employee?  Should I have Interns or Apprentices instead of Employees for my situation?  If so, how is this done and where can I learn about it?

Thanks for the help.

TxBeeFarmer (Mark)
The Coldiron Farm
West Texas Zone 7b