market-farming - [Market-farming] Bio-Telos

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pam Twin Oaks <pam AT twinoaks.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Bio-Telos
  • Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 17:49:28 -0500

<What are your opinions to using biotel?
It is supposed to be made from non GMO corn.
Thank you.
Sue
Vermont>

I love the stuff. This brand is more expensive than Eco One (Nolts
supplies has them both), but more stretchy, so easier to use. We laid
it by hand (many hands), on far from perfect seedbeds. The warming
effect is better if the plastic is in direct contact with the soil,
for which the soil needs to be smooth. Ours was fairly Alpine, I'd
say. We put the drip tape down first, then the bioplastic on top, and
transplanted tomatoes, peppers, watermelons, cantaloupes. Last year we
found we'd covered an area where beans were supposed to go. We used
rods to poke holes to plant the beans, Rather slow, but the beans ran
and ran. We got crops several weeks earlier than with organic mulch,
and no (very little) weeding. Best of all - no plastic to pick up at
the end of the season. Plastic strips do hang around a bit, I'll be
honest. But they will disappear.

Pam Twin Oaks, central Virginia