market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] hoophouses and snow

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Marcy" <mlynnn AT wildblue.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] hoophouses and snow
  • Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 23:08:18 -0700

I'm sorry about your mess Leigh. We've been close with snow but lost it
twice with wind. I think hoophouses are good sources of PTSD!
I still panic and I know the sick feeling in your stomach.
In addition to the failed hoops as Carla mentioned, can you also tell us the
ones that held up?
Three winters ago we had weekly snows during December and January - each
Friday we'd get anywhere from 1 to 2 feet. Our hoophouse is a home-designed
deal and doesn't have enough slope on the sides, so as someone else
mentioned the sides started to cave in. My next one will have 3 or 4 foot
side walls before the hoops. I don't even want to think about how many days
we spent shoveling snow off/away from the sides, but it survived. This
December we hit -18 and the poly just shattered in a 2' wide strip where one
(unpainted) 2" PVC hoop had damaged it 5 years ago - it ate through the
bottom layer and we thought the top layer was OK, but when it got cold
enough it just crystallized. So we're hoping for a couple more days of
good weather so we can get the new cover on and get planting!
Marcy
SE Colo