market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] hoophouses and snow

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "courtney mcleod" <sunmoonriver AT windstream.net>
  • To: "Market farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] hoophouses and snow
  • Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 08:36:03 -0500

I feel your pain Leigh, even though it was only one tiny greenhouse compared to all of yours!  Mine came down last month…had it not been for a 5’ high rack in there holding half of it up, gable ends, chimneys and all would have been down.  Just put new twin wall gable ends on last winter and new plastic in the fall.  THAT is what saved the plastic I am sure.  Had it been the 6 year old stuff, that would have torn for sure.  Although, that may have saved my hoops now that I am thinking about it?  Anyway, my wonderful man “Jerry-rigged” the hoops with 5’conduit bent to go over the snapped hoops and U bolted them to the old and hopefully that along with a 2x4 at each center of every hoop standing tall for extra support, should hold up until after spring.  I HOPE!  We can get some VERY heavy wet snow here in Northeast Ohio.  It will have to be replaced this year, but as long as I can get through my plant season, I will have to be a happy girl!

Good luck with yours Leigh!

Courtney

Herb Thyme

Middlefield, Oh