market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] hoophouses and snow

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: SaladG AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] hoophouses and snow
  • Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 22:38:11 EST

We would be lost without ours, when our greenhouse gets full and I need to move plants the hoophouse is the first place to go.  Just a soon as the germinated flats are started we move to the hoophouse and that free's up space for  more planting and so goes the process of growing 200 flats a week.  We use two hoops just for making space, and one that we are planting in containers the 1 of April, which would be impossible around here for outside planting, but planting in hoops will get us products to sell for our May 1 market.  And I love eating out of our hoop all winter,fresh spinach and lettuce in Feb is really good.  We like our's even with the head ache's they can cause parts of the year.  I have more problems with heat than the winter cold.

Phil from Iowa