market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] What's eating my seedlings?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Robin Follette" <list AT seasonseatingsfarm.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] What's eating my seedlings?
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 10:29:15 -0600

I fourth mice.  I keep traps set all the time.

Robin Follette
Seasons Eatings Farm
Talmadge ME 04492

Sent: Thursday, January 28, 2010 8:19 AM
Subject: [Market-farming] What's eating my seedlings?

I wanted to test my garden compost against commercial potting soil, so I started a tray of each, making soil blocks and sprouting basil in my basement seed room. They sprouted fine, and had just begun to develop their first true leaves, when, over the course of several days, almost every one was clipped off. I explored in the trays, and found one earthworm (unlikely) and one sow bug (more likely) hiding between the blocks. I dispatched the sow bug. This morning, more damage, and no sign of another sow bug. Of course I may have missed it, but is there anything else that might be doing this? And will diatomaceous earth help prevent this next time?

 --
 Richard Robinson
 http://www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/