market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] What's eating my seedlings?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Don Lareau" <dlareau AT tds.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] What's eating my seedlings?
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 07:47:15 -0700

mice

Zephyros Farm and Garden
Daphne Yannakakis and Don Lareau
11466 3725 Rd.
Paonia, Co. 81428
970-527-3636
www.zephyrosfarmandgarden.com
dlareau AT tds.net

-----Original Message-----
From: market-farming-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:market-farming-bounces AT lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Richard
Robinson
Sent: Thursday, January 28, 2010 7:19 AM
To: Market Farming
Subject: [Market-farming] What's eating my seedlings?

I wanted to test my garden compost against commercial potting soil, so I
started a tray of each, making soil blocks and sprouting basil in my
basement seed room. They sprouted fine, and had just begun to develop their
first true leaves, when, over the course of several days, almost every one
was clipped off. I explored in the trays, and found one earthworm (unlikely)
and one sow bug (more likely) hiding between the blocks. I dispatched the
sow bug. This morning, more damage, and no sign of another sow bug. Of
course I may have missed it, but is there anything else that might be doing
this? And will diatomaceous earth help prevent this next time?

--
Richard Robinson
http://www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/