market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] determinate Tomato >> trellising

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Garth & Kim Travis <gartht AT txcyber.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] determinate Tomato >> trellising
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 12:50:32 -0600

Greetings,

This is what I use, most of my plants are indeterminates and I deal with high winds, last summer saw winds of 90mph with gusts over 100 in my garden. The wind didn't kill me, but the nickel size hail sure did a lot of damage.
My raised beds are 25' x 4', so I put 6 t-posts in, one in each corner and two in the middle, across from each other. We genrally set the t-posts in about 6" from the edge of the bed. Then I put remesh in, attaching it to all the posts with wire. Starting last year, we now put 1" bamboo that has been drilled out across the remesh at the top to keep it spaced properly. We use sisal to tie the plants up with, when needed. We run several course of small diameter bamboo across the remesh, to keep plants from blowning over on top of each other. When the plants get too tall, they just grown down the outside of the trellis. And on occasion, back up as with yellow pears that can reach 15' in a good year. The 6"x6" opening in the remesh are big enough to pick through and by keeping the plants tight with each other, inside the trellis my losses to birds are very small.

I will be doing some pictures of our system in a few weeks, I will let you know when I post them to my web site.

Bright Blessings,
Kim

Deb Taft wrote:

Do those of you growing tomatoes on a large scale do any sort of trellising for indeterminates?
The most I've grown was about 300 plants. I used cattle panels or an overhead trellising system for the indeterminates and stakes or cages for the determinates. This year I plan to grow a LOT more and most of the varieties I like are indeterminate. I can't imagine providing trellising for vast numbers of plants but on the one occasion when I didn't get my s**t together for a row and just let them meander on the ground, I was very sorry.
I'd love to hear how y'all are handling this!