market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] determinate Tomato >> trellising

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] determinate Tomato >> trellising
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 14:36:00 -0500

On Jan 27, 2010, at 2:23 PM, frank ventura wrote:

Thanks !  What’s the dimension of the stake you use?  1”x1”?  What do you do when the tomato inevitable grows beyond the height of the stake?

Thx,
Frank

1" x 1" stakes are good; get them pointed if you can, easier to drive in heavy rocky soil.

When indeterminates grow beyond the height of the stake (determinates generally don't), I just let them flop over the top of the trellis and work their way down from there. In our season length no variety I've grown has made it back down to the ground again. But I do make sure to get the 5' stakes which will give 4' or so above ground. You could also use longer stakes, but I'm short and don't like to drive longer ones.