market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] packaging

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "MAsteveINE" <MAsteveINE AT 207me.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] packaging
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 19:59:53 -0500

Your local chain super market should have "food and bread bags" 10 x 14 "gallon size with ties  75 or 100 per box for less than $2.00, Next stop, the front of the store, find the guy in charge at the check-outs and buy a bundle or 2 of plastic shoping bags. seems like I was paying $3.00 for a bundle of 100. Your local farm/feed store should have pint and quart pulp berry boxes (by the piece) which are best for berries, but also for other things grouped; (cherry tomatoes) lots of folk will return these or even dump them into a plastic bag after selecting the one they want. Staples or office depot for elastic bands by the pound.

 {{the more you can sell by the bag basket bunch; the less time you spend at the scale, }}

[[Dont mess with any scale except a digital which computes price, and also get a cash register that has at least 8 departments (Sams club $120.00) you will be amazed what it tells you at the end of the year}}((a 150 watt inverter will run them off your truck with no problem))

Never pass by a chance to grab boxes, especailly if you are doing some plants or seedlings.  BITOA, the liquor store is the gold mine, beer flats which ship 2 12 packs or 4 6 packs also fit perfectly 4 606packs of plants or 6 berry quarts, liquor cases are rugged and if you tape the top and slice at the waist you get 2 for 1!

Lots of grapes are shipped in white styrofoam boxes, let you local market
produce guysknow  you can use them, they are aces for hauling tomatoes and small squash, and as display trays white in much cooler, the foam is sturdy and can be stacked way high in the truck without crushing contents.

My neighbor had a 4" by 6" rubber stamp made with his logo, farm name and address
and used it on both white and brown paper bags with red ink pads which looked great.
Paid well for the stamp but avoided the cost of custom printing for a huge number of bags he did not need.

This may all be the amature way of doing things but till you are in a position to buy in huge lots at the market supply place it is the cheap way.

(leave those plastic bag open, it only take a minute or 2 in the sun to cook greens and what not.)

OMMV

MAsteveINE

This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our maker and glory to his bounty by learning about... BEER." - Friar Tuck