market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] strawberry baskets

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: grizzdover AT gmail.com
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] strawberry baskets
  • Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 07:48:11 -0600

I have done strawberry baskets for Mother's Day the last two years
with mixed results. I planted 3 plants in a 10" hanging basket. I
would try and get them planted by the middle of March. I was able to
charge $15.00 a piece. I didn't have the success rate (plants
surviving in baskets) that I thought I would. Sometimes a single
plant in the basket would die and other times I would lose the whole
basket. They were in a heated greenhouse. We have also had success
selling single plant pots (3" pot) and even offering bare root crowns
to people wanting to plant right into the garden (just to give some
other ideas on strawberry plant sales).

MAsteveINE made a very good point. Make sure you get a Day-Neutral or
Everbearing variety. We have used both Tristar and Seascape in the
baskets with equal success. There is a new variety 'Albion' that may
be very promising for baskets.

Ben