market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Hops

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Deb Taft <growbd AT aol.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Hops
  • Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 16:01:37 -0500

Thanks All, for the replies about hops.  The article below notwithstanding, I'm going to go ahead and start a small plot of hops this season.  My intention is to market to micro-brewers who are interested in local organic ingredients.  There is a lot of this sort of activity in the metro-NYC area and I think I can make it work.  I was at the NYC Food and Climate Summit last week and talked to a brewer from Harlem who would love to be able to market her beer as "local".  From her perspective this is the right time for it; the market for local and organic hops is wide open.

I'll let you know how it goes!  And please do forward anything else you find about hops.

Happy Solstice!

Deb