market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Hops

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: MRT <gottabelevis AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Hops
  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 11:05:17 -0800 (PST)

I grew hops (on a very small scale) for the first time this year. I got into it because my dad brews his own beer and had trouble with the three vines he planted the year before- not enough sun. Commercial hop growers grow on enormous VERTICAL trellises. Hops can be grown horizontally, but I believe they are very sensitive to sun direction. I initially planted mine at the wrong end of an established trellis. They got to the top and refused to grow along the wire, instead reaching out in the other direction and ultimately growing back DOWN the support wire instead. I am pretty sure this had to do with relative sun position. Hops are heavy feeders, subject to mildews, and produce better when leaders are reduced. I think U or Oregon has a hop website- but brewing magazines are also a wealth of info.
Maggie