market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Hops

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Shawnee Flowerfarmer <farmingflowers AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <growbd AT aol.com>, <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Hops
  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 22:32:37 -0600

I grow the Bianca variety for wreaths/crafts.  Nichols Herbs carries root pieces but they are pricey in bulk.  You might find a local home brewing club to purchase root starts, but expect a two to three year lead time before harvest.  The old husband's tale about vines is true of hops...first year, sleep; second year creep; third year, leap.  Easy to grow, and prolific...you'll have to boss them around and trellis vertically for good flower production.  I fertilize heavily with fish emulsion and organic chicken manure.
(I have never tried sales for brewing, but as wreaths and garnishes on dried flower crafts....instant sell-out every season.)
Shawnee, zone 5