market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Tell us about the cukes!

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <aballiett AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Tell us about the cukes!
  • Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 18:07:42 -0500

Incidentally, since I frequent authentic Thai and Chinese restaurants, the last few years I've taken upon myself to grow 'authentic asian foods' for them. It's been my experience that they are not as particular as you might assume, that price is everything, that although our food is nutrient dense and has a taste WAY better than anything they get fromt he produce delivery service, there appears to be about zero appreciation of quality or of 'fresh.' worse, it appears that the asian produce wholesaler is really really cheap so that my contacts, who are limited to restaurants, are not interested in getting involved with locally priced produce. They will barter, of course, but only in a 'gift' fashion which is to say they will take a basket of, say, miniature green Thai egg plants, and return the gift with free appetisers next time I buy a meal there. IT's fun, but it hasn't been business for us. -Allan in WV (WDC market)