market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Tell us about the cukes!

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "breck" <bcarden AT breckinridgegroup.com>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Tell us about the cukes!
  • Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2009 17:45:46 -0500

Hi Dave,
In your website you mention using no-till practices in your vegetable
production. Would you pass along any advice on how you are doing this? I've
never found any good info on the how-tos for commercial production.

Thanks,
Farmer Breck
Breck Carden
Carden's Garden
2400 E Hwy 22
Crestwood, KY 40014-7704
breck AT breckcarden.com
www.breckcarden.com

http://www.mahaiweharvest.com/mahaiwe-harvest-csa-the-story/
In general:
Give them space, trellis them, prune to a single leader, allow only 2-3
fruit per spur, fertilize heavily, provide continuous water and warmth, do
not work with the plants until the dew is off them, pick frequently[I pick
every other day and prune on the other day=+/- 30 seconds/plant/day if you
are good], drop plants when they reach your picking height limit, cover
stems of dropped plant with compost, ABOVE all, do put disturb or tread on
root zone.

Good luck.
Dave

Dave Inglis