market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Digging/spading forks

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Allan Balliett <aballiett AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Digging/spading forks
  • Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 18:46:21 -0500

Hi, Dave!

I went for straight ash handle through "House Handle" (probably www.househandle.com) They have an aweseome catalog. I think there's one on-line, as well. you pretty much have to talk to them on the phone toget the right bulldog fit, though. My replacement handle came from a 'firelane axe,' or something like that.

After I purchased the ash (because I heard that ash handles are 'best') I was told by someone at SoC that the oak in a bulldog oak handle is functional and you need that density to work the soil right. I'm pretty happy with the ash handle right now, though. and it was pretty cheap. Comes with two rivets (you only need one) to hold it in the socket.

we got out the remainder handle (broken off below the rivet in the socket) by drilling it a few times with a lineman's bit that we happened to already own. It really wasn't as tight in there as I implied it was. Still, it's a shocker down on the farm (we don't have a farm workshop at my place ;-)

I'll get hold of you offline about the cuke adventure.

Thanks!!

-Allan in WV

Allan,
I had an apprentice run down then over my original 'bulldog' fork a few
years back; this was the fork I started growing food with in the Double Dug
French Intensive style way back when [30 years ago ]. Grrrrr. He had no idea
why I was so attached to it. I no longer take on apprenti.
I have found burning the broken shaft out was the easiest.
Where did you get the replacement handle?
Dave
Ps how did your Greenhouse Cuc's work out?

Dave Inglis
www.mahaiweharvest.com
Berkshire County,
Massachusetts