market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Digging/spading forks

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Carla Shafer <cshafer.friends AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Digging/spading forks
  • Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2009 08:23:14 -0800

Half the battle is teaching people how to use and care for forks
correctly. I've had my hand forged English fork (originally purchased
from Smith & Hawkin back when they still were importing the best tools
on the market) for over 30 years. It's my dearest possession. I keep
it in my bedroom, and don't let anyone else use it. During its
lifetime, it has double dug intensive beds, literally, all over the
world.

In our crew/intern situations, I've thought about assigning a set of
tools to each person at the beginning of the season (with a deposit!),
but have not actually gone that far ... yet. Another twist on the idea
would be to provide a basic set of tools for each intern as a personal
kit that will be theirs to keep, and build that value into the
compensation package as a perk.

What I have done with some success, is to work at teaching good tool
care. We usually start early in the season on a rainy day with a mass
tool refurbishing effort. Handles get sanded and oiled, metal parts
get sanded and sharpened, and everyone helps organize the storage area
so they all know where things go for the rest of the summer.

When we use each tool for the first time, I take a few minutes to
discuss its use, ergonomics, and warn against common abuses. I also
ride herd for the first few weeks of summer to make sure that tool
cleanup and storage becomes part of the routine for each and every
task. I've found most of our interns have been interested in learning
these skills. ...and make sure you have mattocks, etc. on hand, too,
so that there is a "right" tool available for the tough jobs.

I've heard good things about the synthetic handles, though.

Can't wait for Spring!

Carla Shafer
Farmer/Farm Management Consultant
change the world.
Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
~ Margaret Mead