market-farming - [Market-farming] more on medicinal/herbal seed sources

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Nan Johnson <nan.n.johnson AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] more on medicinal/herbal seed sources
  • Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 14:09:56 -0600

We used Richters (in Canada) frequently at the Medicinal Plant Garden/Univ of MS during my seven years working there.

  What impressed me most was how Richters reacted when they sent us the wrong species of what is commonly called holy basil (Ocimum sanctum) but was really O. tenuiflorum (the website said O. sanctum).

  Richters was the ONLY company (among the several that sent us the wrong species) that responded to my phone call/email and actually rechecked their stock, and then sent us a sample of a new shipment which we grew out for them and verified as O. sanctum.  The two species are VERY different visually, but the other herbal companies (all in the US) ignored our phone calls/emails and digital photos.  I was very disappointed in the other companies.  They did not respond AT ALL.

One caveat....since Richters is in Canada, there is sometimes a delay in shipment since it goes thru customs, etc.

I must say that as of 2008 their customer service person was excellent!  We also ordered live plants and when some arrived in less than satisfactory shape, they worked with us on that too!

nan at simple gifts homestead/arkansas  (formerly dancing goats/water valley, ms)