market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] freezing greens, was Snow and Broccoli

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: maggiepalmer AT wyoming.com, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] freezing greens, was Snow and Broccoli
  • Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 14:39:46 -0500

On Nov 16, 2009, at 1:40 PM, Maggie Palmer wrote:

i blanch spinach, kale and chard (separate and together) and freeze.  about february i've forgotten how much i ate the previous year.

<x-tad-smaller> </x-tad-smaller><x-tad-smaller>sent by </x-tad-smaller><x-tad-smaller>clearviewfarm</x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller>Sent:</x-tad-smaller><x-tad-smaller> Monday, November 16, 2009 10:42 AM</x-tad-smaller>
<x-tad-smaller>Speaking of collards and chard,</x-tad-smaller><x-tad-smaller> has anyone successfully stored these for later use?  I have vacuum sealed and frozen broccoli and I know that cabbage can be kept in cold storage and later trimmed, but what can be done with chard and collards (for that matter, Portuguese kale, which is virtually identical to collards)?  Anyone with experience with them? </x-tad-smaller>

<x-tad-smaller>--- SaladG wrote:</x-tad-smaller>

<x-tad-smaller>Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 08:48:06 EST</x-tad-smaller>

[ . . . ]<x-tad-smaller>We are still picking chard, brocccoli, collards, and cabbage (second heads), but it isn't going to last much longer and then I have to buy this ugly grocery store junk, some weeks it looks so bad we just have to do without.  [ . . .]
</x-tad-smaller>

I sauté chard and spinach briefly and then pack and freeze. Sometimes I blanch greens for freezing, but they do tend to wind up a bit soggy if I do them that way.

Kale, at least in zone 5, keeps quite well in the field: it often overwinters here unprotected. Growth slows down and eventually stops until spring, but the plants will take quite a bit of cold.