market-farming - [Market-farming] DARN Snow and Broccoli

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: jay sleichter <jaysleichter AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] DARN Snow and Broccoli
  • Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 20:25:53 -0800 (PST)

Well we are in a Winter Weather Advisory until Tuesday at 6:00 am. My high tunnels are not made for snow load.  They are wood and PVC.  I know this and I was planning on pulling the plastic of during Thanksgiving break.  I guess I will have a late night and a long day at work tomorrow.  My BIL will be helping my out if they need to be cleaned off.

My question is this. The temperatures are going to be 32-38, the snow won't hurt/damage my broccoli.  I know the temperature won't be the problem.  BTW, I did have a successful harvest of around 40 pounds of broccoli, about 20 heads.  Since our markets are done for the season, we blanched and froze it.  We still have 2/3, 60 + heads, left in the field.  We squeezed in the processing during the kids nap time on Saturday.

Jay