market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Pie Pumpkins and "yams"

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Owsley lucy <boulderbelt AT embarqmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Pie Pumpkins and "yams"
  • Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2009 04:32:17 -0500

I would think they would not work well unless you can control the light so you get 12 hours of day and 12 hours of night as that is something tropical crops require. I have tried my hand at a couple of true tropicals and have had varying luck-Ginger can take long days but melacoton (it would have born red cucumber like fruits had it worked) must have 12 hour days (and temps never going below 65)

In MN If you can find true yams and even if you can address the light issue do not expect the tubers to get big like they do in the tropics.