market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Pie Pumpkins and "yams"

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wyatt Jones" <wyatt_jones AT netzero.com>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Pie Pumpkins and "yams"
  • Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 09:30:43 -0500

I've seen true Yams in markets in certain parts of the country, such as the Bay area of California.  The main difference I've noted, concerning culinary qualities, it that the true Sweet Potatoes are drier and firmer, Yams can be rather "mushy" from what I've seen but I like them for certain things like pies if one cooks them a little longer to dry them out  a bit when preparing, they seem to have a smoother texture when you do that but it might be from the extra cooking time.  I've not seen true Yams around here but there are a lot of varieties of Sweet Potatoes, including the white ones which are mostly claimed to be Heirloom varieties.  Some of the white Sweet potatoes I've seem are pretty ugly but some people seem to prefer them, I like the orange ones myself as they seem to have more of that sweet potato flavor to me.  Some varieties of Sweet potatoes are relatively moist however and some, like the Puerto Rican ones tend to be a little more like the Yam in texture but not by much.  Also I think yams need sandier soil to keep from rotting and take longer to mature but don't quote me on that one.

Wyatt Jones
Jamestown Ohio

Find Student Loans
Click here for free information on schools offering student loans.