market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Late Blight and Potatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "MAsteveINE" <MAsteveINE AT 207ME.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Late Blight and Potatoes
  • Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 18:59:03 -0400

Subject: [Market-farming] Late Blight and Potatoes

We had Late Blight on potatoes one year when I farmed in England. We
followed advice of the time, mowed off the tops, carted them and
burned them in a horribly smokey bonfire. (You don't have to do that
bit, dispose of them thoroughly though). Then we waited two weeks,
then dug up the tubers. They were fine to eat. The point is that by
waiting, the blight does not spread to the tubers.

Pam, Twin Oaks, Louisa, VA
Last thing I would want to be is someone who disagrees, so I will just site
what happened here AFAIK with the note that what usually happens here is
U.S. Strain 8, and what was imported this year is U.S. Strain 14: my vines
went from healthy to totallly dead and down (like October) within 72 hours.
Some of the tubers, Irish Cobbler being
most affected, are reduced to long strings of slime, and many are looking
normal but
turn to black foam after a few days when stored in the barn.

Here is a bit that agrees with your 2 weeks and says thorough freezing
should kill the
disease in residue.

http://www.nofany.org/policies/hottopics/managing_late_blight_organically_produced_potato.pdf
I think it will be time to move potatoes and tomatoes to new ground.

MAsteveINE

MAsteve