market-farming - [Market-farming] Late Blight and Potatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pam Twin Oaks <pam AT twinoaks.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Late Blight and Potatoes
  • Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 15:38:27 -0400

We had Late Blight on potatoes one year when I farmed in England. We
followed advice of the time, mowed off the tops, carted them and
burned them in a horribly smokey bonfire. (You don't have to do that
bit, dispose of them thoroughly though). Then we waited two weeks,
then dug up the tubers. They were fine to eat. The point is that by
waiting, the blight does not spread to the tubers.

Pam, Twin Oaks, Louisa, VA