market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Late Blight and Potatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Late Blight and Potatoes
  • Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 16:25:34 -0400

On Sep 20, 2009, at 4:15 PM, <clearviewfarm AT bluefrog.com> wrote:

About how long would you figure is awhile, Rivka? Any idea of the incubation period? So far, I've seen one infected tuber, although numerous tops appeared infected on my upland spuds.

Sorry -- I'm not sure. I had late blight once, some years ago, and it took me too long to realize it and kill the tops; I know that some potatoes that looked all right at harvest rotted in storage. I think it only took them a few days, but am no longer certain just how long it was.

I bet your extension office could tell you, though. If not, I'll ask extension here.