market-farming - [Market-farming] High tunnel and BTU Propane Heater

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: jay sleichter <jaysleichter AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] High tunnel and BTU Propane Heater
  • Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 08:42:38 -0700 (PDT)

Fall is here and I don't want to be caught unprepared with an unexpected frost/freeze.  Probably 1.5 months away, but who knows.  I have two high tunnels with around 800 square feet each. If it freezes, I want to keep the tomatoes alive inside for awhile longer, if possible.I just want to keep them above freezing around 40 degrees.  I am going to buy some propane heaters to use.  I also plan on using these in the spring.  However, what size.  I found one that will heat 1100 square feet or 2500 square feet.   Will I be ok to get the smaller heater or should I splurge and buy the bigger one, to get the higher BTU's and for more square feet?

Thanks,

Jay