market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Planting Winter Rye & Vetch

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Planting Winter Rye & Vetch
  • Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 11:21:00 -0400

On Sep 14, 2009, at 11:09 AM, Rachel Evans wrote:
Any suggestions on how to get a fall/winter/spring cover crop on land
that will go into early crops (planted April here, our last frost is
around May 10).

Interseed / underseed it: seed the cover crop while this year's main crop is still present. The cover isn't likely to grow enough this fall to interfere with the main crop. Use oats or something else that will winterkill; it's not too late, I don't think (hope not, haven't done mine yet).