market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Planting Winter Rye & Vetch

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Rachel Evans <rachel AT sunshinefarmmarket.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Planting Winter Rye & Vetch
  • Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 08:09:06 -0700

We're getting ready to plant rye/vetch too on the fields that will be summer crops next year.

Any suggestions on how to get a fall/winter/spring cover crop on land that will go into early crops (planted April here, our last frost is around May 10). Or do you really just have to start earlier than this? Or leave it fallow. Our plan is to turn the summer crops (tomatoes, corn, cucurbits) into the greens beds for next year (brassicas, root crops, lettuces, etc.) which get planted in successions from April through July, some of them double cropped. The summer crops will go into new pasture ground we're just now breaking, hopefully we'll get rye/vetch on that this week.

--
Rachel Evans
The Sunshine Farm

509-670-8958