market-farming - [Market-farming] Planting Winter Rye & Vetch

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Michael Peck <silverandsienna AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Planting Winter Rye & Vetch
  • Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2009 10:38:06 -0400

I am getting ready to plant my first field.  The land has sat for a year with weeds.  I have chosen Winter Rye and Hairy Vetch to winter kill; In spring- mow & turn under.  The .61 acre has been fitted and is ready to plant.

1- Is 2# / 1000sq ft  of 78% Rye, 22% Vetch adequate?
        I measured out a trial run and the seed seems scantly spread across the area at that rate.
        I can get more rye, but not vetch in short order.  Would it be bad to add more rye, throwing off my rye/vetch ratio?

2- Do I need to water?
        I read to keep the seeds damp while germinating.  There is no rain in sight.
        I am approx. 6 weeks from first frost.  Says to plant 4-6 weeks before.

3- Should I rake the seed in.
        I will be hand broadcasting.  Some say just throw in on top.  Most reading says to rake it in lightly.
        Any suggestions.

Thanks,
Michael