market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Organic Asparagus

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Organic Asparagus
  • Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 11:49:10 -0400

On Sep 11, 2009, at 9:30 AM, <sunnfarm AT netscape.com> wrote:

<x-tad-smaller>.BTW for weed control, asparagus is a salt tolerant plant and salt water can be sprayed on small weeds as a herbicide...
</x-tad-smaller>

Considering the title of the thread: salt as an herbicide is not acceptable for organic production, I think (no time to look it up right now in the federal standards, but it certainly was prohibited by NOFA and many other certifiers before the federal standards went in, and I think is still prohibited). The asparagus may be tolerant, but it's considered to damage the overall health of the soil.