market-farming - [Market-farming] HR 2749 Is this for REAL

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Marc Winterburn" <marcw AT oceanbroadband.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] HR 2749 Is this for REAL
  • Date: Sat, 12 Sep 2009 23:05:31 +0800

Is this really being pushed onto you guys over there in the states. I hope
not cause Australia just loves to follow whatever your law makers do.
Western Australia has been GM free until this year when a change of
government saw the new minister for agriculture (completely against the
wishes of the people) allowed the GM companies to "trial" their GM canola.
The people of Western Australia have rallied, written, emailed and done
everything short of a revolution trying to stop this and have been ridden
roughshod over by said minister. The big companies sent him on a fact
finding trip to the US of A and he came back all fired up and said that what
he was doing was right. Many local councils and shires (counties) have
declared themselves GM free and he has used his ministerial power to veto
their decisions and has allowed GM to be trialled in those shires.

I suggest that you guys over there with your 4th amendment of your
constitution take a serious look at what is happening and do something to
stop it before its toooo late.

Marc
West OZ

By Mary Starrett
September 12, 2009
NewsWithViews.com

It comes as no surprise that efforts are underway by the federal government
to curtail our access to food. It's not the first time those in power have
used regulatory powers to limit rights to this basic necessity. The
devastating effects of government control over food can be seen in Zimbabwe
and all over Africa, in Southeast Asia and in Russia. The Bible warns us in
Revelation that a pale horse, straddled by a rider called Death will
decimate one fourth of the Earth's population through hunger.
And so, HR 2749 comes riding a pale horse.

It should also come as no surprise that the Food and Drug Administration
(FDA) would be the vehicle by which our food is limited.

If you're impressed with the FDA's track record on drug safety you'll love
how it all pans out when they're in control of our food supply. Control is
the operative word here because efforts underway in Washington will give the
Food and Drug Administration unprecedented authority to determine what we
eat, where we get our food and even whether we can access the bounty of our
neighbors' vegetable stand.

Even BusinessWeek addressed the increased powers proposed for the FDA
noting: "the FDA will have authority under the legislation to inspect the
business records of food producers at any time, free of the current
limitation that requires a reasonable belief that adulterated food is being
sold." According to the Farm-to-Consumer Legal Defense Fund, "FDA would now
be empowered to go on a 'fishing expedition' and search records without any
evidence whatsoever that there has been a violation." For all those who
believe government is always looking out for our best interests, remember
that our Founders established the 4th Amendment for just such "fishing
expeditions" by nosy government agents.

The Food Safety Enhancement Act of 2009 purports to "improve the safety of
food in the global market, and for other purposes." It's the "other
purposes" that are cause for concern. The bill which has passed the House
and now awaits Senate approval is a frightening testament to what happens
when people don't pay attention to what's happening in D.C... Using recent
food recalls of peanuts, spinach and beef as evidence of the need for more
stringent controls over the food supply, the legislation would require that
food producers, including the local farmer who grows pumpkins once a year
just for grins, would have to comply with a time consuming record keeping
scheme, and adds a new tax to all "facilities" which produce food, (which
could be anyplace where food is grown or prepared). In addition, food in
"holding facilities" would be under the control of the FDA .

Such broad categorizations could mean anyplace, including a basement,
storage shed or pantry. That could lay the groundwork for some chilling
scenarios. Could we see in this country what happened when Stalin's regime
in the Ukraine starved between 7 and 11 million people? That little
acknowledged atrocity was a deliberately engineered program of genocide
against the country peasants. Stalin's men stormed onto farms, rounded up
the families, dug up basements and tore down barns looking for kernels of
grain the starving peasants might have set aside for their families while
being forced to turn over all their crops. The number of deaths from this
1933 famine was, by many accounts equal to or greater than the number killed
in Hitler's Holocaust, but was covered up even by Americans like New York
Times reporter Walter Duranty who won a Pulitzer Prize for his writings
denying Stalin's deadly campaign.

Not unlike a tyrannical regime, Big Brother wants to keep tabs on all things
edible. In this case, it's being done under the guise of keeping our food
supply safe. It's always about our safety, after all. A provision in HR 2749
would "establish and maintain a system for tracing the food that is
interoperable with the systems established and maintained by other such
persons; and use a unique identifier for each facility owned or operated by
such person for such purpose." This dovetails nicely with the National
Animal Identification System (NAIS) proposed several years ago which would
require an expensive tagging of every pig, cow, horse or goat Americans
owned.

HR 2749 would drive small, independent farmers out of business and hand Big
Agribusiness Carte Blanche to push on us whatever Genetically Modified
Frankenfoods they choose. HR 2749 would function as the backdoor assault on
small, organic, family farming which will sound the death knell for our most
basic freedom- the freedom to grow, sell and eat what we choose.

No wonder some American farmers and artisan food producers are seriously
considering moving to other countries. Sadly, we're all in this together as
the global march toward "harmonization" erases borders and eclipses
sovereign law.

Call your senators and tell them to get off their high, pale horses and vote
"No" on HR 2749

C 2009 Mary Starrett - All Rights Reserved

----

Mary Starrett was the Constitution Party candidate for Oregon governor in
November, 2006, a TV news anchor and talk show host for 25 years and a radio
talk show host for 5 years.

Executive Director, Oregonians for Life, Board of Directors, Christian
Family Adoptions.

She is currently the Communications Director for the Constitution Party. The
Constitution Party is the fastest-growing minor political party
(www.ballot-access.org) and is made up of Americans who believe a return to
constitutional government is imperative.

E-Mail: mstarrett AT constitutionparty.com

No virus found in this outgoing message
Checked by PC Tools AntiVirus (5.0.1.1 - 10.100.183).
http://www.pctools.com/free-antivirus/