market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] saving, growing and selling seed

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Moyer <ramoyer AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] saving, growing and selling seed
  • Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2009 21:39:57 -0400

We are growing some seed for Southern Exposure Seed Exchange this year.  As other vendors' supply drops off, we are still selling SESE blight resistant heirloom tomatoes at market.  Their website includes strategies to preserve/promote regional production of adapted seed.  By growing for SESE, should be able to earn enough to pay for my seed next year.  Have met other seed companies at Sustainable Ag Conferences looking to build their network of seed growers.

If non-hydrid options seem scarce for certain crops, we can suggest their inclusion in regional variety trials.  Territorial Seed Company offers seed collections with wide genetic diversity, encouraging growers to select those subsets adapted for them.

In short, we can bemoan consolidation of seed production, or choose among strategies to keep alternatives alive.

Richard Moyer
Castlewood, VA
P.S.  Shelling out Painted Mountain corn with my 4 year old, to feed us & poultry and seed for next year.  He "likes shelling out pretty corn" which is music to my ears.

  • Re: [Market-farming] saving, growing and selling seed, Richard Moyer, 09/06/2009