market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] (no subject)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] (no subject)
  • Date: Sun, 6 Sep 2009 19:26:21 -0400

On Sep 6, 2009, at 4:54 PM, Bill Shoemaker wrote:

There have been a number of seed companies disappear in recent years, mainly through corporate acquisitions. Of those who've remained, many simply serve as marketing channels for the remaining corporate seed companies. I noted in the list of varieties being dropped by Fedco that some were old varieties or public varieties that weren't always the property of Monsanto. Because they are not GMO's, there is no reason why you can't save seed for your own purpose. You couldn't sell the seed but you could grow them. Seed To Sow is a good book on the subject of saving seed.

Some of those varieties I believe are not patented. Is there any reason that seed from those couldn't be sold?