market-farming - [Market-farming] The regulation machine has begun

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Jack Moffitt <jackmoffitt AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] The regulation machine has begun
  • Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 08:44:29 -0500

Go to : http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/Guida...

The regs are out on melons , greens and tomatoes. Hundreds of pages.
Be sure to stock up on the   plastic gloves and get the required
clipboard to document your handwashing. Be sure and buy the fencing and
bird net to ensure the wildlife are kept out of your production areas. These things are going to get scarce as producers scramble to comply.

FDA issued these on July 31st, the day after the House passed HR 2749.
They are "advisory" for now, but that's because the FDA has no
authority until the Senate passes HR2749. This time next year we will
either have to comply or quit.

What is troubling already is the "standard of care" being established. I can hear the plaintiff's lawyer representing the customer with diarhea ( that he got in response to his full page newspaper ad) - "and, Sir are you telling us here today that you disregarded all FDA directives and pulled weeds in that tomato patch with your bare hands?"

I'd rather have drought and a squash bug infestation than a regulation.