market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Some Answers About Pectin

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "courtney mcleod" <sunmoonriver AT windstream.net>
  • To: "Market farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Some Answers About Pectin
  • Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 08:10:38 -0400

Chrys Ostrander

OMG have you opened my eyes to something more to think about!  I make a lot of jams also and never gave this a thought.  I am totally enjoying reading your post about all your findings….now I have one question for you, after a couple of these posts you shared…

While blogger and author Jill Richardson made this comment:

"I know this isn't very sophisticated but I just skip on the pectin and deal with having kind of goopy liquidy jam. It's cheaper and easier "

And Stephanie shared this;

Another way I go about making jam is actually making preserves, just cooked down fruit with sugar to taste, the way my grandma made it.  I just cook it down longer to evaporate more water out and it gets firm enough for us.  I like this canning website http://canningusa.com/ and I don't believe their cherry jam calls for pectin.

I am wondering if the shelf life of the preserves using these 2 methods is different.  Meaning….does it shorten the life of it if it is sealed and unopened on the shelf.  And what about once opened in the fridge?

Thank you so much for taking the time to compile all your findings!  I must have missed this read!

Courtney

Herb Thyme

Middlefield, Oh