market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] tomatoes bitten and left/deer/coyote.

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] tomatoes bitten and left/deer/coyote.
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 09:03:39 -0400

On Jul 17, 2009, at 6:47 AM, Garth & Kim Travis wrote:

Greetings,
Or make your next pet a coydog, gives you coyote urine all over your
farm. No problems with deer and other varmints.

We have actual coyotes; can hear them quite close to the house at night sometimes.

We also have lots of deer. (And some years they take bites out of the tomatoes.)

Bloodmeal works as a repellent, but it works best when the deer have enough to eat elsewhere. In fact, I strongly suspect that anything at all designed to keep out deer, including possibly twelve foot slanted fences (which we don't have here), works best when the deer have enough to eat elsewhere.