market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] tomatoes bitten and left.

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Mike Rock <mikerock AT mhtc.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] tomatoes bitten and left.
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 02:19:17 -0500

An interesting solution for keeping critters out of garden: used kittie litter. Also blood meal (is a fertilizer too!) And I have heard that drops of coyote urine (from hunting store) works too. None of this stuff goes where it might splash on the fruits.

Two new solutions I have not tried: a low-level radio playing all night in garden..and another: a motion activated sprinkler.

I wish you the best with the critter. Sounds like chickens to me. WE have electric fence for piggies and chicken wire to keep out the chickens...
Valerie (Mike's wife)

Pete Vukovich wrote:

In our case squirrels used to taste the tomatoes. Just about any varmint will. I figured out where they transited, and left some their bitten tomatoes, being lazy they stopped the practice and would pick up where the left off. I think they are tasting them for ripeness (in my case). The round 1/2" deep single swipe bites were a dead giveaway - they left teeth marks that were hard to mistake as well. Don't know if you have that.