market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Yellow Jackets

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: sora AT coldreams.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Yellow Jackets
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2009 12:08:12 -0700 (PDT)

> My house in S. Hadley, MA has (judging by traffic) at least 2 large
> yellow jacket nests concealed and protected under a metal roof with
> only their access places visible. I know yellow jackets are helpful
> predators but the positions of these nests make getting in and out of
> house and using deck dangerous -- especially come August/Sept. Does
> anyone have any recommendations for a least toxic way or pest control
> folks in western MA that would use a least toxic means to clear them
> out of the areas?

Aaaarrggghhh....I hate the little !@##$$%%s. Here in the NW I've seen
swarms of them destroy 100s of pounds of cherries, and raspberries.
Not to mention the 100s of stings from an extremely agressive swarm...
The commercial yellow jacket traps do work. It's best to get them loaded
and ready first thing in the spring when the females come out of dormancy
and set nests. For every female you trap in the spring you eliminate
10,000 worker bees in the summer. A simple paste made of baking soda and
water applied directly to the sting immediately, neutralizes the venom and
reduces swelling hugely. Just came in to apply and take a few deep
breaths after two bad stings....sigh...and the raspberries aren't even on
yet!
Sora in Paradise Valley Zone 4 NIdaho