market-farming - [Market-farming] Broadfork sources (was experiences)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Moyer <ramoyer AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Broadfork sources (was experiences)
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 22:29:44 -0400

I borrowed a broadfork the last 6 weeks for preparing beds for fall crops.  Much quicker than the potato fork I had been using.

Any sources recommended other than Johnny's?  I do want one with wooden handles, for wide and deep digging in our loam.

Some of our soil is a heavy clay down deep; I found that rocking the fork forward and back or side to side while standing on it helped insert to the hilt better than jumping on it.

As suggested earlier on this list, the broadfork then wheeled cultivator can do a good job of preparing a seedbed.  We just seeded several hundred row feet of carrots in such a bed.

Now I want to buy a broadfork.  Please share any sources if other than Johnny's.

Thanks,
Richard Moyer
SW VA
Getting my market customers to try and buy purslane!