market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Tomato Research

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: SaladG AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Tomato Research
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 14:23:31 EDT

Marty last year we spaced our tomato's at 12" apart which I felt was too close.  Used the Florida weave and used black plastic mulch for ground cover.  I had fertilized the area very heavy in the previous fall so the humus in the soil was extremely rich.   The yield when the season was over averaged 19# per plant.  There were 30 different variety's in this row so knowing which one did what I didn't keep track of.  We have gone from doing 10 acres of gardens to one acre, our net income has increased two fold.  We have gone to doing hard to grow thing like spinach to containers and get results almost all summer because we can move thing around to cooler spots when it really get hot here in the great plains.  The wonder of shade tree's.