market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Asparagus Beetles

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pam Twin Oaks <pam AT twinoaks.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Asparagus Beetles
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 15:35:15 -0400

I believe Spinosad is organic and effective against asparagus beetles, but can't be used during the harvest period. If yours is a new planting, perhaps you're not harvesting this year, so that would be fine?

When our patch was new, 10 or more years ago, we used sabadilla, but I think that is not OK with organic certification. Farmscaping can help for the future (see ATTRA or DrMcBug). Our approach is to tackle them physically during the harvest period, to keep numbers low. We harvest every single day for 8 weeks, and catch and kill as many adults as possible. We harvest all spears at 7", thus removing the eggs from the field. For many years, this has been all the control we've needed.

Pam, Twin Oaks Community, Louisa, Virginia