market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Tomato Research

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "courtney mcleod" <sunmoonriver AT windstream.net>
  • To: "Market farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Tomato Research
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 09:57:56 -0400

I practice organic methods but am not certified.  We lay drip and black plastic mulch down for peppers and tomatoes here as nights can be cool so it keeps the soil warm…but I also spread hay mulch covering all walk rows AND spread it over the plastic mulch for splash from rain to help with disease.  I grow mostly heirloom tomatoes and peppers with a couple of exceptions and that seems to be the best method for me.  A lot of work, but well worth it as I grow 130 kinds of tomatoes and 46 kinds of peppers.  I don’t have a lot of plants like most of you, only grow on 1/8th acre but I do alright.

Courtney

Herb Thyme

Middlefield, Oh

To be honest with you, I think my tomatoes under deep straw have always done better than the ones on red or black plastic. And yet, I keep hearing that it should be otherwise. You're right, though.

Sometimes it's hard to recognize when such advice is targeted for certain USDA zones. -Allan in WV where the melons definitely do like black plastic (in my experience)

Allan Balliett [aballiett AT frontiernet.net]